Read and Discuss The Initiation page 4 of textbook
We will read about Millicent’s adventures as she goes through an Initiation Ceremony at her high school. Once we have completed reading the story we will begin to answer the comprehension questions.
Watch and Discuss Ted Talk
We will watch Sir Ken Robinson’s video about how schools are stealing the creativity of its students.
1st – Design your ‘perfect school’
- What time does school start and end?
- How long are classes?
- What types of classes are being taught?
- How many months do students attend classes?
2nd – Do you agree with Ken Robinson’s views? Why? Why not?
3rd – Do you agree with Alvin Toefler’s views?
These are the fundamentals of the futurist’s vision for education in the 21st century:
- Open 24 hours a day
- Customized educational experience
- Kids arrive at different times
- Students begin their formalized schooling at different ages
- Curriculum is integrated across disciplines
- Nonteachers work with teachers
- Teachers alternate working in schools and in business world
- Local businesses have offices in the schools
- Increased number of charter schools